Tuesday, March 25, 2008

REI or BUST! ::shiny-thing of the day::

I headed home with Jay for the long weekend to CT, where they now have their very own REI! We're going to start backpacking this summer and I've been starting to accumulate some gear. I've been a member of the REI co-op for almost a year now, and just got my member dividend & 20% off coupon and was eager to use it! I have the REI VISA, which means I earn a dividend on all my VISA purchases in addition to the dividend I earn on REI purchases. This year I managed to accumulate $100, not too shabby. REI stocks brand names alongside their own gear. Often the REI gear is cheaper with all the same thought given to the construction of the brand name gear. I got an REI day pack a few months ago that has changed my entire Geocaching experience.

This was my first time a physical REI store. We spent 3 hours scouring the store for gear. I walked away with Asolo hiking boots fitted with Super Feet, an REI sleeping pad, a tech shirt, a Haiku purse to carry on cruise excursions, and a few other minor items. I also decided on the Marmot Angel Fire sleeping bag, but didn't purchase it at the time. I thought I'd be able to find it online for cheaper but haven't as of yet. They didn't have the stove and water filter that we wanted so we'll have to grab those online. I spent quite a bit of money, but I'm really happy with my purchases & can't wait to get on the trails. I definitely need some training first!

No comments: