Friday, May 02, 2008

Underspecializationed

That's just great. I'm cruising along, minding my own business, happier with my content, when Edward Mills reminds me that I don't have an expertise. Well, that's not exactly what he said, he says I do have one, everyone does. But what on this green earth is mine? Which one thing do I have extra knowledge of, knowledge that I can share?

I've been bothered by this question for a long time. A long, long time. I've amassed a collection of interests that I'm really happy with. I actively partake in each of them on a regular basis. I feel enriched, it's swell. Is that OK? Is it enough to have varied interests and to specialize in none of them? I don't know if it is for me. And I don't know what to do about it.

Or maybe I am doing something about it right now. Maybe that is what this blog is for. Eventually a pattern will emerge from all these words. When I recognize it, I can begin feeding it and give it a name.

No comments: